This is one of the most common problems that old computers face, and also one of the most common types of repairs done by Best Buy. As your Laptop gets old, you experience overheating problems which eventually turn off your PC anytime. The Laptops are designed in such a way that as soon the temperature inside a Laptop reaches to a limit, the Laptop immediately shuts down with the help of thermo sensors. This is done to avoid any damage to internal circuits and hardware. To deal with overheating problems, here are simple ways which are cheap and very effective:
- Open your Laptop cover from behind and clean the heatsink. If your heat sink is blocked with dust particles then your the heat from your Laptop will not be released properly. If your heatsink doesn’t work anymore, replace it immediately. Use a cotton to clean. Don’t use any sprays or liquid cleaners.
- Try to reduce running processes on your Windows. Running too many processes at a time will generate more heat and load on your Laptop. Go to Start > Run and type “msconfig” (without quotes). Deselect appropriate choices from both “Services” and “Startup” tabs.
- Many Laptop provides custom power options through which you can customize the power to be utilized. In some Laptops, it is named as “Power saver mode”. Power saver mode consumes less power and hence it will generate less heat.
- Place your laptop on a hard surface so that there is a sufficient gap between the bottom surface of your Laptop and the surface on which you have placed your Laptop. Most of the Laptops are provided with fans at the bottom. Avoid placing your Laptops on Bed or any uneven surface. This will block the air exhausted from the vents of fans provided at the bottom of your Laptop.
- If the above mentioned ways doesn’t help you out, you can use a Laptop cooling pad or cooling fan which is generally very cheap. Laptop cool pads provide extra space at the bottom for quick circulation of air and since it comes with a small USB fan, it circulates the heat out quickly from your Laptop keeping it cool. This is really proven to be one of the best ways to fight against heat problems on a Laptop.
If you still experience overheating problems then you could probably try out changing fans, and other related components like heatsinks etc. Please post in the comments section if you need more help.